Active time15 minutes
Total time90 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 to 5 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves pulled
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained, halved, brine reserved
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large whole grain ﬂatbreads
- Heat olive oil and butter in large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until onions have softened, about 40 minutes.
- Remove cover, add Worcestershire sauce, olive brine, and honey and cook additional 20-30 minutes, or until golden and jam-like.
- Place ﬂatbreads into pre-heated 450° F oven and cook until slightly toasted. Divide onion mixture between ﬂatbreads and top with chopped olives. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until ﬂatbread is crusty.
Recipe and photo courtesy FOODMatch
Saturated Fat: 4g