Active time15 minutes
Total time1 hour
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and thoroughly dried
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup water
3 teaspoons harissa
2 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon honey, divided
2 whole wheat ﬂatbreads
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
½ cup golden raisins
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil. Spread on a small, rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. While they cook, whisk cinnamon, garlic powder, ground ginger, and cardamom together in a small dish.
- After the chickpeas have baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and toss with the spice rub. Place back in the oven and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until slightly crispy. (They will crisp up more on top of the pizza, so don’t get them too crispy).
- While the chickpeas continue to cook, whisk the tomato paste, water, harissa, and ½ teaspoon honey together in a small bowl or dish. Spread on top of ﬂatbreads and top evenly with cheese.
- When you remove the chickpeas from the oven the second time, increase the temperature to 425F and move the pizza stone from the bottom rack to the middle rack of the oven.
- Reserve ½ cup of cooked chickpeas for snacking. Evenly divide the remaining chickpeas between the two ﬂatbreads. Sprinkle with onions and golden raisins.
- Using a pizza wheel, transfer ﬂatbreads to the pizza stone. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and ﬂatbreads are crisp. Drizzle with remaining honey and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Cooking for Keeps and the American Pulse Association.
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Review this Recipe