4 ounces ready-made falafel dough
1 hamburger bun (preferably whole grain)
Olive oil for cooking
Toppings of choice. Suggested:
1 lettuce leaf
1 slice tomato
2-3 thin slices red onion
1 tablespoon tzatziki sauce
- Falafel can be pan-fried or deep-fried. For pan fry, heat a small skillet on stovetop; for deep fry, set fryer to 350˚F.
- Form a hamburger-style patty with falafel dough.
- Place patty in pan with a little olive oil (for pan fry) or place carefully in fry basket and slowly lower into fryer (for deep fry).
- Cook patty for about 7 minutes or until falafel is cooked through and nicely crusted. For pan fry, shift patty around in the pan and ﬂip halfway through cooking. For deep fry, bounce the basket slowly up and down until a crust is formed on the burger to keep the patty from sticking to the basket.
- Remove patty from basket or pan and assemble the burger with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!!
Ready-made falafel dough is becoming more available as this Middle East staple grows in popularity. If you are unable to ﬁnd prepared dough and/or prepared tzatziki, you can also make your own falafel at home. Check out this recipe on our site for Walnut Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce, or this additional recipe for Tzatziki Sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Grecian Delight