1 cup plain Greek yogurt (2% fat)
½ cup peeled, seeded, coarsely shredded cucumber
¼ cup coarsely shredded celery
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons walnut oil (optional)
2 cups walnuts
2 ½ cups cooked garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the Tzatziki Sauce ingredients until smooth, being careful not to over mix.
- In a food processor, process all falafel ingredients except for the oil until well-mixed.
- Form the falafel batter into 24 small balls or patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place falafel on a lined or lightly-greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm with Tzatziki Sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the California Walnut Commission.