1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
¼ cup chopped zucchini
1 tablespoon low-fat milk
¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
Dash of salt and generous grinds of black pepper
½ tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
½ cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons canned cannellini beans
¼ cup sliced grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- In a small skillet, heat ½ teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring, until beginning to turn golden, about 2-3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove zucchini from pan.
- Beat eggs, milk, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In the same small skillet, heat ½ teaspoon oil over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula, forming large soft curds. Sprinkle basil over eggs. Gently fold eggs a few more times until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl (the same bowl in which you plan to construct your Breakfast Bowl) microwave the rice with 1 tablespoon water until hot, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble, top rice with eggs, beans, tomatoes, cooked zucchini and cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Serena Ball, MS, RD for the Egg Nutrition Center. Photo courtesy of the Egg Nutrition Center.