1 package (2¼ tsp) Active Dry Yeast
½ cup milk
¼ cup water
¼ cup olive oil, plus larger quantity of olive oil for frying
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 cups bread ﬂour (15 oz by weight)
Strawberry jelly or seedless jam for ﬁlling
Confectioners sugar for sprinkling
- Combine milk, water and oil in a sauce pan; heat to 120-130°F.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup bread ﬂour, salt and sugar in medium size bowl.
- Once the liquid mixture has reached the correct temperature, remove from heat and whisk in the egg. Add to the dry mixture.
- Stir in the remaining ﬂour to make a stiﬀ dough.
- Knead on ﬂoured surface for 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding additional ﬂour if necessary.
- Note: If you have access to a food processor, bread machine or stand mixer, just add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and let the machine do the work for you.
- Form a ball with the dough.
- Rub olive oil in a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl to rise. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and put in a warm spot and allow to rise for 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
Create & Shape the Doughnuts
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and knead to remove air bubbles.
- Divide into 2 parts.
- Prep your work area by lightly ﬂouring a surface to roll out the dough.
- Also prep a cookie sheet by sprinkling with ﬂour. This is where you will place the doughnuts after you have cut them.
- Roll out each dough ball to ½ inch thick.
- Using a ﬂoured glass or biscuit cutter (we used a mason jar lid), cut out the sufganiyot and place on the ﬂoured cookie sheet. (Sufganiyot do not have holes. If you wish, you can cut holes to make doughnuts).
- Knead the scraps and roll them out again. Repeat until you have used up all of the dough.
- Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise again. It will take 30 minutes to 1 hour. The doughnuts will rise and double in height. To test, touch the side of the dough lightly with your ﬁngertip. If an indentation remains, the dough is ready.
Fry & Fill
- Fill a wide pan with 1-2 inches of extra virgin olive oil for frying. Heat the oil to 350°F. Fry 1 minute per side until puﬀed and golden brown. Keep an eye on them, they cook very quickly.
- Transfer to a wire rack to drain and cool.
- Now is the time to ﬁll the doughnuts. You may own tools such as a cupcake injector or special piping tip. If so, poke a hole through the side or top of the sufganiyot and ﬁll with a the seedless jam. If you lack special equipment, you can simply cut them open on the side with a paring knife and spoon in the jam (take care not to cut all the way through to the other side.) Transfer back to the wire rack and continue with each one.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve!
Recipe and photo courtesy of North American Olive Oil Association
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Sugars: 5g (Added Sugar:3 g)