1 (16-ounce) box gemelli pasta, preferable whole grain
1 clove garlic, crushed
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 Calabrian pepper, chopped (or crushed red pepper ﬂakes to taste)
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 (16-ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 pints fresh cherry tomatoes
½ cup grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Then, add the
garlic, chopped Calabrian peppers, and rosemary. Sauté 1 minute.
3. Add chickpeas and tomatoes to the oil and season with salt to taste. Allow the mixture to cook out for about 5
minutes, so the ﬂavors have time to develop. Discard the rosemary sprig.
4. Meanwhile, cook the gemelli pasta in the boiling water according to the package directions. Drain, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
5. Toss the gemelli pasta with the sautéed ingredients, mixing in the reserved cup of pasta cooking
6. Finish with Romano cheese, parsley and remaining olive oil just before serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy Barilla
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 3g