Active time25 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Yield4 personal pizzas, 2 12'' pizzas, or 1 16'' pizza (4 servings total)
Serving Size1/4 whole pizza or 1 personal pizza
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
- ½ cup medium grind whole cornmeal
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat ﬂour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces (about ¾ cup) canned tomato sauce, no-salt-added
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- First, make the dough by combining the honey and warm water, and sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 5 minutes to proof. In a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, whole wheat ﬂour, and salt.
- Add the oil to the yeast mixture and pour in the ﬂour mixture. Stir to combine ingredients and scoop onto a ﬂat surface. Knead until elastic, adding more whole wheat ﬂour as needed, about 5-8 minutes. (You can also knead using the dough hook on a stand mixer.) Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let stand until doubled, about 20-30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat, then add the olive oil to coat the pan. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Transfer the caramelized onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- Split dough into four equal sized rounds to make four personal pizzas, and then spread dough out onto greased pizza pans forming a thin crust. (Or you can choose to make two 12-inch pizzas — as pictured — or one 16-inch pizza crust.) Top with tomato sauce, cheese, and veggies (caramelized onions, mushrooms, roasted red peppers), then season with oregano and red pepper ﬂakes.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups (pizza crust recipe adapted from Bob’s Red Mill)
Total Fat: 21g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Total Sugar: 10g (Added Sugar: 4g)