Active time45 minutes
3 carrots, peeled
2 medium zucchini
2 yellow summer squash
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
2 teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 pound orzo or other small pasta
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cut the carrots, zucchini, squash, and bell peppers into thin 2-inch-long strips. Toss the vegetable strips, onion, olive oil, dried herbs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Line two heavy baking sheets with foil and arrange half the vegetables in an even layer on each sheet. Roast, stirring after the ﬁrst 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender and the other vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, as the vegetables are baking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still ﬁrm to the bite, about 9 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Combine the pasta with the cooked vegetables in a large bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes and enough of the reserved cooking liquid, ¼ cup at a time, to moisten. Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pasta to individual bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Barilla
NutritionPer Serving: Calories: 361
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe