¾ cup buckwheat ﬂour
¾ cup whole white wheat ﬂour
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 cups non-fat buttermilk, divided
- Heat a large griddle pan over medium heat. Prepare batter while pan is heating.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (ﬂours, sugar, salt, baking soda) in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, stir egg and 1 cup of the buttermilk until combined, then slowly add in melted butter until incorporated.
- Add the buttermilk/egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring to blend. Add in the remaining buttermilk to batter. Stir only until everything is combined, batter may be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the pan with vegetable oil. Ladle ¼ cup batter onto the hot pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the pancake to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles come the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Recipe and photo from Oldways and the Whole Grains Council (Karen Mansur).
Total Fat: 5 g
(Saturated Fat: 2 g)
Sodium: 200 mg
Carbohydrate: 13 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g.