It’s Monday! We’re Meatless! Last week, we posted a Meatless Monday recipe for Edamame Beans with Olive Oil, and this week we’re borrowing a recipe from our friend Ana Sortun, the award-winning chef of Oleana Restaurant in Cambridge. It’s great to have someone like Ana in our neck of the woods because she brings creative, richly ﬂavored recipes with a strong inﬂuence of Istanbul to her restaurant and now to all of you. Also a big THANK YOU needs to be said to Farmer Chris as well! :) — Alison
If you can’t ﬁnd brandywine tomatoes, substitute any other large tomato. Farmer Chris’s Brandywine Tomato and Arugula Salad with Melon and Feta Sauce Ingredients *serves 4*
- 4 (¼ inch thick) slices seedless watermelon
- 4 brandywine tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ¼ cup hot water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed, tough stems discarded
- 4 sprigs oregano
- Using a round cookie cutter or the top of a glass, cut rounds from the watermelon slices. They should resemble the tomato slices but may be a little smaller. Lay out the melon and tomatoes on paper towels and season with salt.
- Combine the feta, olive oil, and hot water in a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and a little freshly ground pepper (it may not need much salt depending on the saltiness of the feta).
- On a large serving platter, arrange the tomatoes, melon rounds, and arugula overlapping slightly, and drizzle with the feta sauce. Roughly chop the oregano leaves and sprinkle over the top. Drizzle with a little more olive oil if desired and served.