1 (16 oz) box whole grain rotini
1 medium carrot
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1 — 2 cloves of garlic
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 fennel bulbs with tops (fronds)
1 bunch spring onions
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. fennel fronds, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Sauté minced garlic in oil until garlic turns slightly yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half, then in thin slices. Add to the skillet, along with the carrot cut in roundels (rounds) about ⅛ of an inch thick. Braise for about ten minutes under medium high heat covered.
- Season with salt and black pepper; cover with a lid and cook through stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onions cut on a bias ½ inch long, cook an additional three minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Whole Grain Rotini according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce.
- Stir in the grated cheese and fennel fronds before serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Barilla. For more great whole grain pasta recipes, be sure to visit the Barilla homepage!
Total Fat: 15 g
(Saturated Fat: 3 g)
Sodium: 180 mg
Carbohydrate: 56 g
Fiber: 9 g
Protein: 14 g