1 (16 oz) box whole grain rotini
1 medium carrot
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1 — 2 cloves of garlic
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 fennel bulbs with tops (fronds)
1 bunch spring onions
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. fennel fronds, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Sauté minced garlic in oil until garlic turns slightly yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half, then in thin slices. Add to the skillet, along with the carrot cut in roundels (rounds) about ⅛ of an inch thick. Braise for about ten minutes under medium high heat covered.
- Season with salt and black pepper; cover with a lid and cook through stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onions cut on a bias ½ inch long, cook an additional three minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Whole Grain Rotini according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce.
- Stir in the grated cheese and fennel fronds before serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Barilla. For more great whole grain pasta recipes, be sure to visit the Barilla homepage!