10 ounces orecchiette pasta (whole grain if possible)
3 bunches broccoli rabe (about 1 ½ pounds) coarsely chopped
1 pound fresh sweet or spicy chicken sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 ½ ounces ﬁnely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Fill a large stock pot with 6 quarts of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Turn heat to high and cover to bring to a rolling boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Return the same pot of water to a boil, add the orecchiette and cook for about 10 minutes or until slightly undercooked. Drain, reserving the cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, split the sausages lengthwise down the middle and remove from their casings.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up as ﬁnely as possible with a wooden spoon. Add the broccoli rabe and continue cooking and stirring until the broccoli rabe breaks down to a sauce-like texture. Add the crushed red pepper if using.
- Add the chicken stock and orecchiette. Finish cooking the pasta in the sauce, making sure it doesn’t stick to the pan—you may have to keep adding a little pasta water until the pasta is al dente, making sure not to overcook it. Adjust with salt if needed, and serve with grated Romano cheese.
An Oldways recipe
Protein: 23 grams
Carbohydrates: 44 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Fat: 11 grams fat
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 700 mg.