2 pounds carrots (rainbow carrots, if available)
2 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon maras pepper, Aleppo pepper, or crushed red pepper ﬂakes, divided
2 blood oranges (can substitute navel or cara cara oranges)
1 pound salmon
¼ cup pistachios
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425. Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, and then in half crosswise, creating thin batons. Toss the carrots with 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon maras pepper, then spread the carrots in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Thinly slice 1 ½ of the blood oranges into thin rounds, leaving the skin on and leaving one half orange remaining. Juice the remaining blood orange.
- Scatter the blood orange slices on the baking sheet with the carrots, trying to keep all ingredients in a single layer. Bake the carrots and blood oranges for 15 minutes.
- While the carrots are beginning to cook, pour the blood orange juice over the salmon, then brush the salmon with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon of the maras pepper.
- After the carrots have cooked for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven and use a spatula to ﬂip the carrots and orange slices. Make room on the pan and add the salmon. Roast the salmon and carrots for an additional 15 minutes.
- Divide the carrot-orange mixture and salmon into 4 equal portions, then top the carrots with pistachios and fresh mint leaves before serving.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly LeBlanc
Total Fat: 28g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Sugar: 20g (Added Sugar: 3g)