1 jar (480 grams) grilled eggplant pulp
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
salt, to taste
450g beef ground meat
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
3 tablespoons parsley
½ cup yellow onion, ﬁnely chopped
3 tablespoons whole wheat ﬂour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 teaspoon oregano
Pepper, to taste
Parsley, ﬁnely chopped to garnish
- Scoop grilled eggplant pulp into a bowl and mix with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Put meat in another bowl, and sprinkle with salt, cumin, paprika, allspice, bread crumbs and parsley. Add the onion and mix. Shape into small balls.
- Roll meatballs in ﬂour. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot and add the meatballs to cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Put garlic and tomato paste into same pot and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and add water. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Cover and let it simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Before serving, add meatballs to tomato sauce and simmer on low heat until warm. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with eggplant purée on the side.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Al Wadi Al Akhdar.
Total Fat: 24g
Saturated Fat: 4.5g