Cannelloni Pasta Dough:
¼ cup semolina ﬂour
1 cup all-purpose ﬂour, or “00” ﬂour
3 medium eggs
7 ounces wild hop shoots, or greens of your choice
1 ⅓ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
3 ½ ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
4 ¼ cups whole milk
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup all-purpose ﬂour
Nutmeg, to taste
Salt, to taste
Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, to taste
2 egg yolks
- Make the pasta dough: On a pastry board, mix the semolina, ﬂour, and eggs until the dough is homogeneous and compact. Place in a bowl, cover with clear wrap, and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Then take the dough out of the refrigerator, divide into about 12 pieces, and thinly roll out each piece with a rolling pin or pasta maker. Place each thin sheet of pasta on a ﬂoured surface.
- Prepare the ﬁlling: wash the hop shoots or greens, and eliminate any tough stalks. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, and boil the greens 5 minutes. Drain and chop into coarse pieces. Transfer to a large bowl, and combine with the ricotta and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Make the sauce: In a saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat. Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pot over low heat. Gradually add the ﬂour to the butter, and mix with a whisk to make a roux. Slowly pour in the warmed milk, continuing to stir until the sauce starts to boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining butter, and a pinch of nutmeg and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, if using. Once cool, stir in the egg yolks.
- Assemble the cannelloni: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Quickly boil one sheet of pasta dough at a time, about one minute. Remove each pasta sheet from the boiling water and place on a plate or cloth, without overlapping. Once cooked, place a small amount of the ricotta and greens ﬁlling in each pasta sheet. Roll each sheet up lengthwise to create a tube of ﬁlled pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish. Arrange the stuﬀed pasta rolls side by side. Cover with the remaining sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Recipe by Lucia Gennari, from Parmigiano-Reggiano
Total Fat: 25g
Saturated fat: 15g
Protein: 21g protein