3 large eggplants
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (our preference is extra-virgin olive oil)
6 medium tomatoes, divided
3 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
3 hot chilis, or more or less to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon dried mint
- Peel and slice the eggplant into ¼ inch rounds
- Preheat the oven to broil on high. Broil the eggplant rounds until cooked through and soft in the middle*
- Meanwhile, quarter and slice 4 of the tomatoes into ¼-inch slices. Slice the other 2 tomatoes into ¼-inch rounds.
- Heat the tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the slices of the 4 quartered tomatoes, reserving the round slices for later. Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons tomato paste, mix to blend, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Place cooked eggplant on top of tomato mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place remaining sliced (round) tomatoes and whole chilis on the eggplant. Cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, salt and 1 clove of crushed garlic. Spread a thin layer of the yogurt on a serving platter.
- Place the cooked eggplant on the yogurt, and drizzle the additional yogurt on eggplant. Sprinkle with dried mint, and serve. This dish is best eaten with naan or rice.
*Note: In the original preparation, Chef Sharifa fries the eggplant in vegetable oil. To fry, heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a large, deep pan over medium-high heat. It should be very hot. Place the eggplant slices in the oil and cook until golden on both sides. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices. Set aside and drain the slices on paper towels.
Recipe and photo courtesy Chef Sharifa Zareen of Sanctuary Kitchen
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Total Sugar: 24g (Added Sugar: 0g)