Active time15 minutes
Total time40 minutes
Serving Size1/4 recipe
1 cup mung dal (split mung beans, yellow in color – can substitute red lentils)
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups water
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, ﬁnely chopped
1 medium-sized onion, ﬁnely chopped
2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
1 cup plain yogurt, for serving
- In a large pot, add the mung dal (or red lentils), turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, salt and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes, when the dal is nearly done, heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil to coat the pot, then toss in the garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and cook for one minute longer, stirring the entire time.
- Pour in the cooked dal (being careful to watch out for spattering as the dal hits the oil) and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Serve with yogurt, if you wish.
An Oldways recipe
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Sugar: 8g (Added Sugar: 0g)
Review this Recipe