1 ½ pound of ripe tomatoes
8 oz. fresh mozzarella
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, ﬁnishing quality
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ cup green olives
½ cup fresh basil
12 oz. brown rice penne rigate
2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- Slice the tomatoes in quarters, then use the tip of your knife to remove seeds. Discard seeds and accumulated juices; dice.
- Transfer tomatoes to a large serving dish. Add 1 teaspoon sea salt, ﬁnely chopped garlic, fresh basil leaves and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and mix well. Let marinate for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop mozzarella and set aside. Do not add the mozzarella to the tomatoes.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt, if desired, and cook penne according to the cooking instructions on the box.
- Add the olives, pitted and chopped, to the tomato mixture and stir well.
- Drain the pasta and add to the tomato-olive mixture, mixing well with a large serving spoon.
- Quickly sprinkle the mozzarella on top of the pasta and continue to stir well. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Heidi Gordon, Jovial Foods.
Total Fat: 20 g
(Saturated Fat: 7 g)
Sodium: 1250 mg
Carbohydrate: 49 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 14 g