1 cup basmati brown rice
1 medium red onion, sliced into half moons
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large Poblano pepper, seeds removed and cut into long, thin slices
¼ head purple cabbage, chopped into long shreds
1 bunch kale or chard, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 can low-sodium refried pinto beans
1 whole avocado, peeled and sliced
8 ﬂat, crispy corn “tostada” tortillas
Fresh salsa of choice
Dash of sea salt
- In a small pot, prepare the basmati rice according to the package instructions.
- In a large pan, saute the red onion half moons, garlic, and pepper slices until soft and aromatic.
- Add the cabbage, kale, and a pinch of sea salt; cover the pan and let the veggies cook for 5-6 minutes, until soft.
- In another small pot, heat the refried beans. Add a dash of water, if necessary, to thin the beans for spreading.
To assemble the tostadas:
- Spread a large spoonful of beans onto each corn tortilla, covering the tortilla.
- Add one spoonful of rice and spread out on top of the beans.
- Then add veggie medley of cabbage, kale, onions, garlic and peppers.
- Add 2-3 slices of avocado.
- Top with salsa of your choice.
An Oldways recipe and photo