1 cup of (golden) quinoa
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
Green tops from one bunch of beets, coursely chopped
1 tablespoon cooking sherry or red wine
2 ripe avocados
½ teaspoon sea salt
Pinch of Aleppo pepper, Grains of Paradise, or crushed red pepper
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water and 2 cups of quinoa to a boil. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- While the quinoa cooks, heat the olive oil in a medium pan on medium heat. Sauté the garlic. Add the beet greens, sherry or wine, and sea salt, and cook, stirring together for about 5 minutes, or until the the greens are wilted.
- Open avocados, remove the pits, and carve each half into several slices lengthwise.
- Serve as a layered dish: Place the quinoa down as the bed, drape the beet greens over the quinoa, and top with avocado slices.
- Add pinches of pepper and additional sea salt to taste.
An Oldways recipe and photo. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.