1 ½ cups white whole wheat ﬂour
¼ cup natural unbleached sugar
1 Tbsp aluminum free baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mashed baked sweet potatoes
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, at room temperature
⅓ cup ﬁnely chopped pecans
- Pre-heat your waﬄe iron. Depending on the type of iron you have, you may need to lightly oil it. Use your experience with your own equipment in deciding.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk them until well combined.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, reserving both.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, mashed sweet potato, melted butter, and egg yolks. Whisk until well combined.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites at a high speed for about two minutes. Stiﬀ peaks should form when you lift the beaters. Set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Whisk until well combined, but do not over mix. The batter should be nearly smooth.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites. If you are adding the pecans, you should fold them in now.
- The batter is now ready for your waﬄe iron. The amount of batter and cooking time will vary according to the size and temperature setting of your waﬄe iron.
* Sweet potatoes should be baked for 1 hour at 400 degrees. I do this a day in advance.
* Try these waﬄes topped with Honey Vanilla Whipped Cream, maple syrup, or both.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Whole Grain Gourmet. Visit Whole Grain Gourmet’s website for more wonderful whole grain recipes.
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 12g
Total Sugars: 18g (Added Sugar: 13g)