3 ¾ ounces canned sardines, mashed
1 pound ground beef
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup dried whole wheat bread crumbs
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup ketchup
½ teaspoon onion powder
4 drops hot sauce (optional)
1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce
12 ounces dried whole wheat penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix ﬁrst 8 ingredients (with hot sauce, if using) together gently.
- Shape the meat mixture into 35 to 40 small meatballs. Place on a baking sheet and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the pasta sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover the pan and bring to a simmer.
- When the meatballs are done, add them to the sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are simmering, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and put in a large serving bowl.
- Top pasta with the meatballs and pasta sauce, and serve.
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrate: 54g