⅓ cup walnut pieces
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
6 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
4 sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), diced
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon oregano
½ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
3 chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
½ cup fresh basil leaves
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the grill to 500°F. Or, if using an oven, preheat it to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, feta, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, and red pepper ﬂakes. Set aside.
- Butterﬂy the chicken breasts by slicing them in half (lengthwise) but leaving them attached at one end. Gently pound chicken with a mallet to ﬂatten. Place 4 to 5 basil leaves on each ﬂattened breast followed by ⅓ of the walnut mixture. Spread evenly.
- Begin rolling the chicken up from one end to the other to form a pinwheel shape. Brush with the olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Secure each roll with butcher string or 3 to 4 skewers. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts and ﬁlling.
- If grilling, reduce the heat to medium-high and grill the chicken for 25 to 30 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 180 °F. If cooking in the oven, bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Tip: Prepare the chicken one day ahead and keep refrigerated.
Recipe, photo and content courtesy of California Walnut Board and Commission. For more recipes, visit California Walnut Board and Commission.
Saturated Fat: 4g