Pinch of saﬀron threads
Small red onion, ﬁnely chopped
1 eggplant, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
½ pound ground sausage
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium yellow squash, diced
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
12-16 oz brown rice spaghetti, cooked and drained
Optional: red pepper ﬂakes and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Steep saﬀron threads in 4 tbsp. boiling water for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Finely chop red onion and begin to sauté in a large stainless steel skillet on low with 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add eggplant and carrots to onion. Sauté for 5 minutes on medium low heat with 1 tbsp. of saﬀron water until eggplant are soft.
- Crumble sausage and cook on medium with eggplant for 5-7 minutes. Drain oﬀ extra fat with a spoon and discard. Add the rest of the saﬀron broth.
- Chop zucchini and squash in small dices and add to the skillet, turning up heat and quickly sautéing for 2-3 minutes, depending on how ﬁrm you like them. Add 1-2 tbsp. of pasta cooking water, if needed. Turn oﬀ heat and let cool while pasta is cooking. Before draining the pasta, top sauce with a drizzle of fresh extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix pasta with vegetable sauce. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- If desired, sprinkle with red pepper ﬂakes and cheese, if you like.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Heidi Gordon / Jovial Foods.