Active time25 minutes
Total time1 hour 30 minutes
YieldMakes 16 servings.
1 cup whole white wheat ﬂour
1 cup whole grain cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 pound turkey or chicken Italian sausage links, casings removed
4 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 medium tart apples, chopped
1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 egg white
To make the corn bread:
- For corn bread, combine the ﬁrst ﬁve ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, applesauce and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
To make the dressing:
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Crumble corn bread over mixture. Add the apples, chestnuts, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper. Stir in broth and egg white.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Editor’s Note: Dressing can be prepared as directed and used to stuﬀ a 10- to 12-pound turkey.
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Sodium: 460 mg
Carbohydrate: 17 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 7 g