3 cups milo (sorghum)
9 cups water
¾ cup chopped fresh oregano
6 green onions, chopped
¾ cup olive oil
9 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
3 cups peeled, chopped English cucumbers
1 cup toasted pine nuts
3 cups crumbled feta cheese
½ teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon sea salt
- Bring the water to boil in a medium saucepan, then add the milo (sorghum).
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until somewhat soft, similar to cooked rice.
- Cool sorghum to room temperature, ﬂuﬃng with a fork occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add the cooked sorghum.
- Adjust salt and paper to taste.
Note: This is a foodservice-quantity recipe from Jesse’s restaurants. You can scale it down for family use!
Recipe courtesy of Jesse Cool, author of Simply Organic: A Cookbook for Sustainable, Seasonal, and Local Ingredients. Photo courtesy of Kelly Toups, for Oldways.
Total Fat: 12 g
(Saturated Fat: 3 g)
Sodium: 380 mg
Carbohydrate: 16 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 5 g.