For the dressing:
juice of 2 lemons
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
Ground black pepper
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
1 bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large apple, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
To Make the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, cardamom, and salt and black pepper to taste. While still whisking, add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream; continue to whisk until the dressing is creamy and comes together.
To Make the Salad:
- In a medium bowl, toss the kale lightly with just enough of the dressing to coat the greens; massage the greens thoroughly. Set greens aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until transculent, soft, and just beginning to brown. Remove the onion from the heat and set aside in a small bowl.
- To the same sauté pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat; add the apple and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
- Toss the greens with the onions and apples. Add more dressing if desired, adjust seasonings to taste, and serve!
Recipe contributed by A Taste of African Heritage Ambassador Madea Allen. Photo: iStock.
fat: 28g (saturated fat 4g)