For the Basque Vinaigrette:
⅓ cup minced red bell pepper
¼ cup ﬁnely minced green bell pepper
¼ cup minced white onion
1 medium-size garlic clove, minced
¼ cup light olive oil
3 tablespoons best-quality white wine vinegar
For the Shrimp:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 slices best-quality bacon
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
Coarse salt (Kosher or sea)
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Light the grill and preheat to medium-high, or preheat the broiler.
- Make the Basque Vinaigrette: place the red and green peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and stir to mix. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the shrimp and bacon: In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until it is crisp and has rendered its fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, ﬁnely crumble the bacon.
- Thread 4 shrimp on each skewer, brush them lightly with olive oil, sprinkle salt over them. Grill or broil the shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side, taking care not to overcook them. (The shrimp can also be seared on a griddle.)
- Arrange the skewered shrimp on a serving plate, spoon the vinaigrette over them, and sprinkle the bacon on top.
Recipe courtesy of Anya von Bremzen’s The New Spanish Table; Photo: Fotolia