2 medium eggplants
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 medium zucchini
4 tablespoons chilli oil, plus extra for drizzling
Juice of half a fresh lemon
Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
½ cup canned chickpeas or beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
10 dates, roughly chopped
Small bunch of fresh mint leaves, chopped
Small bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ounces feta cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Preheat the oven to its highest heat setting with racks in the center.
- Prick the eggplants to allow moisture to escape while cooking and place them with the peppers and zucchini directly onto the oven racks. Place a pan beneath the racks to catch the juices from the vegetables. Roast for around 10 minutes, until the skins are starting to blister and blacken. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Slice the eggplants and zucchini crosswise and the peppers lengthwise and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle the vegetables with chili oil and the lemon juice. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Mix in the chickpeas or beans, dates, mint, coriander, and garlic.
- Take a small baking tin (a loaf tin is ideal) and make alternate layers of the roasted vegetable mix and the sliced or crumbled feta cheese, drizzling each layer with a little chili oil.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for half an hour before turning out onto a plate and slicing. Serve with toasted ﬂatbread or pita.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Positively Good For You.
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 3g