2 cups uncooked quinoa
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
¾ cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, egg, pepper and salt; stir until cheese has melted. Spoon quinoa mixture into an 11-inch x 7-inch baking dish or pan lightly brushed or sprayed with extra-virgin olive oil; smooth surface with a spatula. Cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or until chilled and set. (This step may be done a day ahead.)
- Remove and discard plastic. Invert chilled quinoa onto a cutting board. Cut into 8 equal portions.
- Heat a grill or grill-pan. Lightly brush the surface of the quinoa cakes with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil. Using a thin spatula, place the cakes oil side down on the heated grill. Lightly brush the exposed sides of the cakes with the remaining oil. Grill 2 minutes per side or until grill marks show and cakes are crispy.
- Carefully transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Kathryn Conrad, WGC Culinary Advisor.