2 cups black eyed peas
1 large carrot, cut into quarter inch dice
1 onion, ﬁnely minced
2 teaspoons, ﬁnely minced garlic
Pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon tomato paste
½ teaspoon of maraş pepper
½ cup of whole milk yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
8 cups of mixed braising greens, long stems removed and washed (a little more than a pound)
1 pita bread, split in half and diced into ¼-½ inch dice (preferably whole grain)
2 teaspoons of red pepper paste
2 tablespoons melted butter
4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (at least 8 cups of water) and cook the black eyed peas for about 20 minutes on a low-medium simmer. The peas should be completely tender.
- Drain them and place in a mixing bowl and season with salt and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Meanwhile, bring another pot of about 8 cups of water to a boil and add the braising greens or market greens. When the greens wilt, immediately drain them into a colander and run some cold water over them to cool them down. Allow them to sit, cool and drain. Squeeze them as dry as you can in small amounts to get all the water out of them. Place them in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, carrot, and teaspoon of garlic (or green garlic) until very soft, tender and the onion is translucent. Stir in the tomato paste, maraş pepper and hint of cinnamon. Stir into the black eyed peas to coat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the pepper paste with 2 tablespoons olive oil until you have a loose paste. Stir in the pita chips and coat them evenly with oil, melted butter and season them with salt. Add a little more oil if necessary. Place them on a baking sheet and toast them for about 8-12 minutes until crisp and cool.
- Place lemon juice in a small mixing bowl with the remaining teaspoon of garlic and let stand for 3 minutes until the garlic pickles and softens in ﬂavor. Stir in the yogurt and the last tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt to taste.
- To assemble, warm the black eyed peas and season the greens with salt, pepper, maraş and olive oil. Place pita on the bottom, warm black eyed peas on top of the pita, greens (you can roughly chop them if they are large) over the black eyed peas and top the whole lot with the garlicky yogurt.
Recipe courtesy of Ana Sortun; photograph courtesy of Oldways.
Saturated Fat: 6g