1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces or 227g) unsalted butter
2 ¼ cups (15 ¾ ounces or 525g) sugar
1 ¼ cups (3 ¾ ounces or 155g) Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups (6 ¼ ounces or 180g) white whole wheat ﬂour
1 cup (4 ounces or 120g) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup (6 ounces or 170g) chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°F or gas mark 4). Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch (about 22 x 32 cm) pan.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) brieﬂy, just until it’s hot (110°F to 120°F — about 40°C), but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth, then add the ﬂour and nuts and chips, again stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 28 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the center. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The King Arthur Flour Company. ©2006 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 7g
Total Sugars: 23g (Added Sugar: 23g)