1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup all-purpose ﬂour
3 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth
1 lb. chicken breast, skinless and boneless cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup yellow onion, chopped
¼ cup celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions, chopped
1 whole bay leaf
2 teaspoons thyme, ground
2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons gumbo ﬁle
2 teaspoons gravy master
½ cup okra
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Add oil to small pot, stir in ﬂour.
3. Place in oven, stirring constantly until ﬂour begins to turn golden brown.
4. Take pot out of oven and continue preparation on top of the stove.
5. Slowly stir in broth using wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 additional minutes.
8. Remove bay leaf.
9. Serve hot in bowl alone or over rice.