Active time30 minutes
Total timeAbout 1 hour
Serving Size1/6 of recipe
For the Sorghum
- 1 ½ cups whole grain sorghum
- 3 cups water
For the Steak Pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons purchased Berbere spice blend*
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ﬂank steak, cut into thin strips
- 8 to 10 bamboo skewers
For the Vegetables
- 2 cups cauliﬂower ﬂorets
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved if large
- 2 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup cubed sweet red bell pepper
- ½ of a medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ a jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- ½ cup cored, cubed Granny Smith apple (do not peel)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 container (5.3 ounces) plain yogurt
- Combine sorghum and water in the Instant Pot®. Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes. When cooking is complete, use a natural release method to depressurize. Press cancel. Drain the sorghum in a ﬁne-mesh strainer and set aside.
* Alternatively: Bring sorghum and water to a boil over high heat. Turn down to a simmer and cook 25-40 minutes until grain is tender. Drain oﬀ extra cooking liquid
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, Berbere spice and garlic in a resealable plastic bag. Add the strips from marinade (discard marinade) and thread 2 strips onto each of the skewers. Preheat the broiler to high with a rack in the upper third.
- Toss vegetables with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread vegetables in an even layer on a baking sheet and top with the beef skewers. Broil for 8 minutes, watching closely, then stir the vegetables and turn the skewers over. Return the vegetables and skewers to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are brown and tender and beef is cooked to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile for the sauce, pulse the cilantro, mint, coconut and jalapeno in a food processor until minced. Add the apple, cumin, lemon juice and salt and pulse to mince. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the yogurt.
- To serve, divide cooked sorghum among 6 serving bowls, then top with some of the vegetables and skewers. Serve skewers and vegetables with sauce on the side for dipping.
Recipe and photo courtesy the United Sorghum Checkoﬀ Program
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Total Sugar: 8g (Added Sugar: 0g)