2 tablespoons water
4 (6-ounce) catﬁsh ﬁllets
½ cup whole wheat ﬂour
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup of pecans, chopped ﬁnely
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix egg and water together in a large glass baking dish and let ﬁsh soak in it while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread ﬂour on a sheet of wax paper, stir in salt and pepper, using a fork to blend. Spread chopped pecans on another large sheet of wax paper.
- Heat oil in large skillet or cast iron pan.
- Take each ﬁsh ﬁllet out of egg mixture and dip one side into ﬂour, gently shaking oﬀ excess. Lay the other side onto chopped pecans, pressing nuts into the ﬁlet.
- Place ﬁllets nut side down in pan. Fry about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully turn over each ﬁllet and ﬁnish cooking, 4 to 6 minutes or until center is opaque and ﬁsh ﬂakes easily.
An Oldways recipe. Illustration by George Middleton for Oldways.