Active time15 minutes
1 pound of fresh whole okra
bowl of ice water
¼ teaspoon of olive oil for oiling pan
¼ of a lemon
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Boil the okra in a shallow pan of water until soft (3-4 minutes).
- Submerge the boiled okra in the bowl of ice water. Allow okra to cool for 1 minute.
- Rub the olive oil onto a ﬂat skillet and heat on high until very hot.
- Toss the okra into skillet and let sizzle; spritz with lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt; check for blackening on the face-down side after about 2 minutes.
- Once charred on one side, ﬂip and blacken the other side.
- Spritz with lemon and salt again on the unseasoned side. Enjoy!
An Oldways recipe.