1 (12-ounce or 340g) jar roasted red peppers, drained
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 tilapia or snapper ﬁlets (about 1 ½ pounds or 700g total)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup (260g) chipotle salsa
3 cups (585g) cooked long grain brown rice
¾ cup (85g) shredded Manchego or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
½ cup (150g) pitted kalamata olives, halved
- Place red peppers in blender or food processor; puree until smooth; set aside.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over both sides of ﬁsh. Melt butter and oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add ﬁsh; cook 3 minutes on each side or until opaque. Set aside on separate plate; cover to keep warm.
- To pan drippings, add pureed peppers and salsa; bring to boil. Remove ¼ cup salsa mixture; set aside.
- Stir rice into remaining salsa mixture in skillet; cook until heated, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese and olives; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Spoon rice on platter around ﬁsh; spoon reserved sauce over ﬁsh. Garnish with additional olives, if desired.
Debra Thomas — 2007 “Rice to the Rescue!” Recipe Contest Winner, Best Whole Grain Brown Rice. Recipe and photo courtesy of USA Rice Federation.
NutritionCalories — 580
Total Fat — 24g
Cholesterol — 135mg
Sodium — 1540mg
Total Carbohydrate — 47g
Dietary Fiber — 7g
Protein — 42g.