½ cup (115g) sugar
½ cup (60g) whole wheat ﬂour (regular or pastry)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp vanilla
3 small or 2 large apples, cored & chopped but not peeled
½ cup (75g) dried cranberries
1 cup (120g) chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are good)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4). Spray a 10” (25 cm) diameter pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat egg thoroughly with a fork, until it forms a ribbon.
- Add everything else except apples and nuts, and mix thoroughly with a large spoon.
- Add apples and nuts, and mix as well as you can with a large spoon. You’ll wonder if you’ve done something wrong, as it’s a very lumpy mix—not even qualifying for the word “batter.” But keep working, and mix as best you can. After 4-5 minutes of vigorous mixing, suddenly it all hangs together.
- Toss it all in the pie plate and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool, either plain or with a scoop of ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Total Fat: 14 g
(Saturated Fat: 1.5 g)
Sodium: 190 mg
Carbohydrate: 41 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 4 g