Active time1 hour 30 minutes
¼ cup sultanas or golden raisins, roughly chopped
muscat or sherry
5 eggs, yolks and whites separated
⅓ cup sugar
3 tablespoons honey
¾ cups white whole wheat ﬂour, sifted
17 ounces plain Greek yogurt (about 2 cups)
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F, and grease an 8-inch springform cake pan.
- In a small bowl, cover the sultanas in muscat and let soak for 10 minutes. Then drain sultanas and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar and honey with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Carefully add the ﬂour, sultanas, yogurt, zest, juice, and oil, and mix on low until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites until stiﬀ, then stir in a spoonful of the whipped egg whites into the yogurt mixture to slacken it. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, making sure to keep the mixture light and airy.
- Pour into the cakepan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the top is browned and the cake has puﬀed up like a souﬄé. Remove from oven and let cool in pan. Once cake begins to subside away from the edges of the pan, use a knife to loosen it, then unclip the springform pan and allow the cake to cool.
Recipe adapted from Turquoise by Greg and Lucy Malouf. Photo: istockphoto.com.
Total Fat: 7g
Satured Fat: 2g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe