1 head of garlic, washed and dried
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 medium to large Russet potatoes, peeled and large diced
3 large parsnips, peeled and large diced
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the garlic head in half widthwise to expose the cloves. Place the split garlic in a small loaf pan and pour the olive oil on top. Cover the loaf pan with foil and bake it in the oven for about 35 minutes, until the garlic is soft.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped potatoes and parsnips to the boiling pot of water and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Once the garlic head is cool enough to handle, pop out the cloves into blender or food processor. Strain the remaining olive oil from the pan into the same processor. Puree the cooked cloves with the strained oil.
- Add the drained potatoes and parsnips to a large bowl and smash with a fork. Season the mash with the garlic olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the North American Olive Oil Association.
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Sodium: 11mg (plus salt to taste)