Active time45 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Serving Sizeabout 1 1/4 cups
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
½ cup white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups sliced white (button) mushrooms
1 cup steel cut oats (uncooked)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the broth and wine in a small pot over low-medium heat until warm, but not boiling.
- While the broth mixture is warming, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms to the onions and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir the oats into the vegetable mixture, and add ½ cup of the warm broth mixture into the pot.
- Stir frequently over medium heat until all of the moisture is absorbed. Repeat, adding ½ cup of the broth mixture at a time, until all of the broth mixture is used, and the oats reach a creamy consistency (approximately 20-25 minutes).
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Then, divide the risotto into four bowls, and garnish with fresh sage.
An Oldways recipe and photo, courtesy of Kelly Toups. Recipe adapted from Sharon Palmer. Hi res photo (3432 x 2997) available for reprint upon request.
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe