⅓ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
1 teaspoon sriracha
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, about ¾ pound
3 ounces thin rice stick noodles (preferably brown rice)
8 rice paper spring roll wrappers
24 mint leaves
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into long, thin strips
1 large cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into long, thin strips
1 large carrot, cut into long, thin strips
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, peanuts and sriracha in a bowl; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil; add the shrimp and cook until opaque and just cooked through, 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander with a slotted spoon and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Return the water to a boil; add the noodles and cook according to package directions; drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Soak 1 spring roll wrapper in the water until pliable, about 30 seconds; transfer to a work surface and pat dry with paper towel. Place 4 shrimp halves, cut side up, in a row across the center of the wrapper; top each with a mint leaf. Top with about ⅛ of the noodles, bell pepper, cucumber and carrot strips. Fold the sides of the wrapper facing the short ends of the ﬁlling in over the food, and roll the long end over the ﬁlling jelly roll style. Transfer to a plate, cover with damp paper towels and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- To serve, cut each roll in half and accompany with the dipping sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Peanut Institute.
Saturated Fat: 1g