- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cups white wine
- ½ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Whole-grain crusty bread or baguette (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In large pot, heat olive oil and garlic; cook about 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add clean mussels, lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine, red pepper ﬂakes and basil.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat until mussels are steamed open, about 4-6 minutes. Cook time depends on how long it takes the mussels to open – it might take less time, based on stovetop performance.
- Remove pot from heat and discard unopened mussels. Serve with crusty bread and lemon wedges.
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Fisheries Institute
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Protein: 27 g
Total Sugars: 2 G
Added Sugar: 0 g