1 (13-16-ounce) box whole wheat linguine
½ cup sun-dried tomato halves in oil, drained and set aside
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
8 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4 pounds fresh clams in the shell, washed, drained, and chilled
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain the sun-dried tomatoes, reserving the oil, and puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- Combine the canned tomatoes with the pureed sun-dried tomatoes in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are heating, heat two tablespoon of the oil drained from the sun-dried tomatoes over medium heat in a separate large sauté pan, add the garlic, and sauté, stirring often for several minutes, until the garlic is light golden. Add the oregano, stir 10 seconds, then add the clams and the wine. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Remove the cover and cook for several minutes longer, until all of the clams have opened. Discard any unopened clams.
- Pour the warmed canned tomato- sun-dried tomato mixture over the clams and season with salt and pepper. Drain the pasta and serve topped with the clams and sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mooney Farms