2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic smashed and chopped
½ teaspoon hot chili ﬂakes (or more/less to taste)
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained, halved (1 tablespoon brine reserved)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, diced or crushed (preferably San Marzano)
½ cup fresh basil, torn
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil, garlic, and chili ﬂakes in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté until garlic is softened, but not browned.
- Add capers and olives, sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon olive brine, and tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add fresh torn basil before serving.
- Serve over pasta, polenta, beans, chicken, or seafood.
Recipe and photo coutesy of Foodmatch.