2 teaspoons olive oil
1 link cooked Italian-style chicken sausage
2 large carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
½ large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern, Navy, or other white beans, drained and rinsed
1 6-ounce bag baby spinach (or 2 cups shredded raw spinach, packed)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or soup pot, and sautee sausage brieﬂy to brown. Remove from pan, and sautee carrots, onions, and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, Italian seasoning, pepper and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Using a blender wand, puree some of the soup. (If you’re using a regular blender, take out about two cups, puree, and return to pot.) It’s up to you how much to puree: Do you like your soup thick or thin?
- Add sausage chunks back in, and simmer recombined soup for 5 more minutes.
- Turn oﬀ heat. Add spinach and stir until spinach wilts in the hot soup.
An Oldways recipe and photo (Cynthia Harriman)
Protein: 15 grams
Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Sodium: 332 mg.