2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, medium dice
2 large carrots, medium dice
2 cups tomatoes, chopped (we like to use cherry tomatoes, or a 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes)
2 cups water
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes (adjust to your preference for heat)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
4 salmon ﬁllets, fresh or defrosted (or 1 1⁄2 pounds of any ﬁsh ﬁllets like cod, sea bass, or red snapper)
1⁄4 cup chopped parsley leaves
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Salt and black pepper (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, and sauté onions for 2 minutes. Add garlic, celery, and carrots, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften. Reduce the heat if they start to brown.
2. Add the tomatoes, water, red pepper ﬂakes, and black pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
3. Add the ﬁsh to the pan and simmer covered for 10 minutes or until the ﬁsh is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat.
4. Add the parsley, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
5. To serve, place a ﬁllet and vegetables in a bowl, ladle broth over them, and garnish with a lemon wedge.
An Oldways recipe and photo
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Sodium: 125 mg
Total Sugar: 5g
Added Sugar: 0g