Active time30 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Serving Size1/6 of recipe
1 (14-ounce) package extra-ﬁrm tofu
1½ cups brown rice
2¼ cups ﬁltered water
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups broccoli ﬂorets
2 cups asparagus, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
Black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons organic Tamari or soy sauce
3 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1½ pieces of ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper
Optional garnishes: green onions, sesame seeds, dried red pepper
- Drain water from tofu and set on a kitchen towel. Wrap in towel and press slightly. Move tofu to a fresh dry towel, wrap and set aside.
- Add 2¼ cups water to a medium saucepan. Turn to high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1½ cups brown rice and cover with a tightly ﬁtting lid. Turn the heat to low and let cook for 25 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Do not lift lid during cooking. When done, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes (with lid on). Fluﬀ with a fork .
- To slice tofu, cut it lengthwise twice (to make three rows), then slice ¼ inch thick. Heat a large frying pan to medium high heat. Once heated, add 2 teaspoons oil. Add tofu, adding a bit of black pepper, and brown on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Do not let the tofu touch in the pan or it will stick together. If needed, cook tofu in two batches, adding an additional teaspoon of oil if needed. Move tofu to a plate.
- While the tofu is cooking add the sauce ingredients to a jar and shake to combine. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, reduce heat to medium, add the broccoli, asparagus and ⅓ of the sauce. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots and purple cabbage. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tofu and ⅓ of sauce, stir to combine. Sauté for 2 mins.
- Add remaining sauce and remove from heat. Stir to combine.
- Store leftovers in a glass container with lid. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe and photo courtesy USA Rice
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Sugar: 12 g (Added Sugar: 9g)
Review this Recipe