3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 chicken thighs, skinless
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
6 ounces dried apricots, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained
2-2 ½ cups chicken stock, water, or the liquid from the canned chickpeas
⅔ cup bulgur
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions until translucent, and then add minced garlic and ginger, cumin, coriander, apricots and diced tomatoes.
- Stir and then add the chickpeas and 1 cup of liquid, turning the heat up slightly.
- When bubbles appear, add the chicken, cover, turn the heat down to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the bulgur and at least 1 more cup of liquid.
- Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
An Oldways recipe, adapted from Mark Bittman in the New York Times . Oldways photo
Total Fat:15 g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Sugar: 25 g (Added Sugar:0 g)